We love it when we see initiatives that are set up to encourage creativity and writers so you could only imagine our joy when we heard about the Okike prize for literature.
The Okike prize for literature is a new initiative based in Nigeria which seeks to reward literary excellence to Nigerian University students in three genres: poetry, prose and drama. Isn’t that amazing?
So if you meet that criterion (Nigerian undergraduate) you should start getting your entries ready.
Here are a few rules to note:
- Any work of prose of prose shall be fiction and not exceed 1,500 words
- The work if poetry must be limited to 1,000 words
- The work if drama must not exceed 3, 000 words and acts and scenes must be clearly demarcated.
- Clearly state your word count on the upper side of the work and your name must not be written on the work or in the attachment
- Your cover letter should be written in the body of your mail and should contain your name, email address, university and phone number.
- Please note there will be an award giving event and winners have to attend as your work will be published in an anthology.
- The deadline for submission is June 5th 2017
- Submissions should be made to email@example.com
Incased you are wondering what the prize is, its N 50,000 to winners in each category
There is no particular theme for this submission call. So writers and visual arts are encouraged to be as creative as possible.