Welcome to another great week Sparkle Writers! Over the weekend, we had our first consultation with a budding writer and we cannot wait for her writing talent to sparkle. As we reviewed the notes from the conversation we realized that there are some fundamental things that every writer should know. We don’t want to bore you with a long list so we’ve cut it down to 10. Great right?
So here are the 10 things every writer should know:
1) You don’t need a degree in writing to become a writer. A lot of great writers didn’t study ‘English’ or ‘Mass Communication’. They just went after their flair for the craft and honed their skills. So don’t worry if you didn’t study English in University. You’re in good company!
2) There is no overnight success when it comes to writing. Every great writer that you are looking up to right now toiled behind the scenes for a while before they made it. Slow and steady is they key really.
3) Don’t despise the days of little beginnings. These are the days you will work for free and learn as much as you can on the job. These moments can either make or break your success as a professional writer.
4) You can know absolutely nothing about writing and still be successful. There are a lot of people who started out with just one thing; their passion for the craft. Skill and professionalism was gained overtime as they learnt from the masters.
5) You can never arrive as a writer. Yes you can write outstanding articles or books consecutively. That doesn’t guarantee that your next article/ book will be a hit. So treat every success delicately. Pride is the fastest way to head downwards.
6) We all have different stories of how we made it. There is no one size fits all approach to becoming a professional writer/ blogger. You have to find what works for and can we add; you have to carve your niche.
7) There is always space for one more writer. Think there are too many writers? Trust us; there are not enough (good) writers! Instead of focusing on competing with other writers, focus on being the best you can be and you will always remain relevant.
8) Adding value also applies to writers. So you have written that mind-blowing article. Of what benefit is it to the world? Are you writing to make yourself happy or to add value to your readers. Writers who add value can never lose their value.
9) Writing is serious business. If you want to become a professional writer, you have to learn the business side of writing. Don’t just think that sitting at home and writing great articles will be sufficient to bring in the money that you are expecting. You have to work hard to publicize your work.
10) You need other writers. The truth is you need insider secrets from people who have been doing this for a while…successfully. You also need to be friends with other writers and bloggers. Don’t live in your own solitary world.
There you have it. With these tips, you’re just about ready to start this journey to becoming a writer with a sparkle. We promise we’ll get to the heavy stuff soon like how to write engaging articles and creative headlines. We just need to take you through the basics first. Don’t forget…every writer has a sparkle and your writing talent will sparkle!